No matter your age, sitting at a desk for long periods of time is not easy! It is no wonder kids struggle with the transition from summer to school. Check out these 5 tips to make an ideal homework area for your kids!
- Create a designated homework/school station: Our minds are powerful. When we sit in the same place while learning, we start associating learning and focus with that area. It helps block out distractions and encourages focus.
- Eliminate distractions: Avoid creating a homework area in front of a TV or inside a playroom. Try to make this space quiet and free of toys. All kids are different so pay attention to what typically distracts your child. While eliminating distractions works well, be aware that some children will work better with soft lyric-free music playing or with a fidget spinner close by.
- Have snacks around: We have all experienced sitting through a boring meeting without food/snacks. It is not fun. A quick snack can boost your mood and get you back on track to paying attention.
- Keep it organized: There is nothing more frustrating than not being able to find a pencil or a paper when you really need it. Prepare the kids before school or homework time with all the necessary materials in their spot. Tip: Having little containers may help keep rolly pencils in place.
- Add some personality: Allow this workspace to shine with creativity. Have an extra artsy child? Have them color a picture and frame it at their desk. Maybe your child loves their blanket, let them keep it near! It is easy to pull all color and creativity out of a workspace when you want to create a focused environment, but adding their personality will actually help it become a more positive environment and experience.
This is a unique time to be doing school (and work). Remember to be flexible and enjoy the ride!